About this app
5.0 and up
May 25, 2010
October 3, 2023
You may be familiar with popular messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, but there’s another player in the game – Signal. This open-source messaging app requires a phone number and boasts secure end-to-end encryption, offering an appealing alternative, especially considering recent data security breaches experienced by WhatsApp. But the questions remain: How secure is Signal, can it assure message delivery, and what features set it apart from its competitors? Dive into our comprehensive review to uncover the answers.
Signal’s security and unique functionalities have made it a popular choice among privacy-conscious users. Developed by Open Whisper Systems, this messaging app promises to put user privacy at the forefront of its design. So, if you’re looking to switch or explore a new messaging app and prioritize privacy, Signal may have what you’re searching for. Find out more about its features and potential in the sections to follow.
Which OS Offers You Signal?
Signal is available across various operating systems, making it more accessible to users who value secure communication. You can install it on:
When you register on Signal using your phone number, the app simplifies the process by connecting you automatically with existing users in your contact list. Although some users prefer anonymous registration or using an email, using a phone number leads to a seamless experience without searching through contacts.
What Features Does Signal Have?
Signal offers a variety of features to enhance your messaging experience while providing top-notch security. Here are the key features you can expect:
- End-to-end encryption: Signal ensures that your conversations are protected from prying eyes with a secure connection indicated by a small blue lock icon.
- Emojis: Express yourself effortlessly with a wide range of available emojis.
- View-once media: Configure your Signal settings to allow images and videos to be viewed only once, then disappear, for extra security.
- Group messaging: Stay connected with friends and family, using secure group chats featuring icons and emojis.
- Usage statistics: Signal allows you to see how many of your messages were sent securely.
- Disappearing messages: Set a timer for messages to vanish after a certain period, helping maintain privacy even among trusted contacts.
- Pin locks: Add an extra layer of protection by requiring a pin before opening secure chats, useful should your device fall into the wrong hands.
- Private stickers: Share amusing stickers with friends and family securely, knowing that they’ll disappear after a set amount of time.
Take advantage of these features offered by Signal to enjoy a highly secure and personalized messaging experience.
Why Use Signal?
- Privacy and Security: Signal offers end-to-end encryption, making it highly secure and private. Researchers from various countries have confirmed the app’s security protocol to be sound.
- Phone Number Registration: Some users appreciate the added security of registering with a phone number, instead of relying on a username or email address.
- User Experience: Signal sports a clean design and is easy to use. It supports messaging, voice and video calls, and even file transfers.
- Decentralized Data Storage: Unlike some messaging apps, Signal does not store your contact details on a central server, reducing the risk of exposing your data during a security breach.
- Free to Use: Signal is completely free, and among the most secure options available in the market.
- Providing Phone Number: Some users may perceive the requirement to register with a phone number as an invasion of privacy.
- Potential Bugs: While Signal is generally considered secure, occasional bugs may allow third parties to eavesdrop on conversations. However, it’s worth noting that Signal has a history of quickly addressing and resolving any reported issues.
The Signal App: A Trustworthy Choice
Taking into account the security features and positive feedback from both users and experts, you can confidently consider Signal as a reliable and secure messaging service.