How to Create Domain Alias and Setup Mail Forwarding to Gmail?
Email is the essential element of every internet user. No matter what they use and what they do over the internet. It became a necessary thing to communicate with others over the internet. There are tons of email providers that allow you to create an email, but what if we choose our own domain email address instead of any third party email services. Yes, we can do it. We can create an email address with our domain and also can forward it to Gmail.
When it comes to email providers, there’s no competitor to Google’s awesome features. It is efficient which connects seamlessly with the rest of your Google products. So, how to create domain alias and setup mail forwarding to Gmail? It’s not any rocket science. Just follow this step by step tutorial.
So, how to create domain alias and setup mail forwarding to Gmail?
It’s very simple. Just pay attention to how I have done everything in this tutorial.
In order to get started, we need few things.
- Custom Domain (You can register a domain at Namecheap.com).
- Fresh Gmail account (Create a new account on Google.com/mail).
- First of all, create a Gmail account. I have already created one below.
- Register a domain for your business. If you already have one, simply go to your Domain Registrar and navigate to Domains List. As I have registered my domain on NameCheap.com. I will go to https://ap.www.namecheap.com/domains/list to find out all my domains.
- Here as you can see all the my domains, now choose a domain that you want to create an alias for mail forwarding. Simply click on Manage button.
- Once you’re in domain settings, you will see a section named as Redirect Email. You just need to add any alias that you want to use for your business domain. Like I have entered in the screenshot below. If you want to use firstname.lastname@example.org, you just need to enter info in the alias. Next, where you want to forward your emails, simply give your gmail address that you just created in the first step.
- Now we have created gmail account, also created alias for our domain. Now the next thing is to setup gmail to receive and send email through our custom email address. For that, login to gmail and go to Settings > Accounts and Import. Click on Add another email address to add a new email address.
- Here you will see a pop-up window like below. Enter the Name you want to use for the email and the Email address for which we have created alias before. After entering your name and email address, just hit Next Step button.
- In this step, we are going to setup SMTP mail server settings and the email address where to forward emails. Simply enter smtp.gmail.com and choose port 587. In Username and Password fields, use your gmail address and password that you just created in the first step. Tick the TLS Secure connection and hit Add Account button.
- It will ask for verification code here. Now simply go to your gmail inbox, and you will see an email with a code to verify. Simply copy and paste that code in the box and hit Verify button and it’s done.
- Finally setup is complete now, as you can see your created account listed below in Settings > Accounts and Import.
- Let’s test it out by sending a dummy email to our created custom domain alias email@example.com whether it’s working or not.
- After sending, you will get an email in your Gmail inbox. Just check it out whether it’s the same email we have sent and to the same custom email address.
- As you can see it’s sent to: our custom email address that we just have created and setup.
That’s all how to create domain alias and setup mail forwarding to Gmail. Hope it made you a clear understanding how to do it. If you find out any issue, feel free to query below.